Uganda Registration Services Bureau (URSB)
URSB is responsible for registration of companies and business names, partnerships, legal documents, debentures and chattel securities, Intellectual Property Rights, celebration of civil Marriages, handles all insolvency matters and collection of NTR. URSB in line with its objective of providing efficient and effective services has come up with new changes:
URSB has reformed the business registration process making it easier and user-friendly. The Bureau now Issues computer generated certificates, and Clients will be required to provide proof of identification in form of National Identity Cards (IDs), Passports and or Driving Licenses.
The new Certificates are enhanced with security features and with the following salient features;
• A 14 digit number in line with the ISO numbering
• An electronic signature and seal
• A URSB water mark and a bar code
THE TAX PAYER EXPANSION PROGRAM (TREP)
Government of Uganda has introduced TREP in order to address the challenges faced in accessing business formalization services. Services like business name registration, TIN registration and trade license issuance can be accessed under one roof known as the One Stop Shops.
- Business formalization services are now closer
- Time will significantly reduce, from over six weeks to 24hours, once all appropriate documentation is provided
- Cost saving for business owners
Services at the one stop shops
- Business name registration
- Tax payer Identification Number (TIN) registration
- Trade license acquisition
Documents needed to access services at the one stop shops
An active email address and at least two copies of valid identification documents to help validate the information provided.
National Identification and Registration Authority (NIRA)
NIRA was established and is mandated by the Registration of Persons Act 2015. The Act repeals the Birth and Death Registration function from Uganda Registration Services Bureau (URSB) to NIRA.
NIRA’S Principle responsibility is to establish and maintain the National Identification Register. (NIRA took over the mandate on January 1st 2016)
NIRA’s core services are:
- Registration of all citizens of Uganda and all non citizens who are lawfully residents in Uganda.
- Registration of all birth, death and Adoption orders (Issues certificates)
- Issuance of National Identification cards and Aliens Identification cards